Thursday, February 4, 2010

You Gotta Fight...For Your Right(s)

You don't have to fight for these rights...I just wanted to write a post about parents' rights and I couldn't think of a catchy title.  Thanks, Beastie Boys!  

I am not talking about legal rights.  That is a whole 'nother post that would take days.  I'll get to that, but for today here is a list of rights you have as a parent of a child with special needs.

You have the right:

- to feel angry
- to seek another opinion
- to privacy
- to keep trying
- to set limits
- to just be a parent
- to be unenthusiastic
- to time off
- to be the expert in charge
- to dignity
- to hear the truth

You don't have to be a super-parent, you don't have to live your child's special needs every minute of every day.  I bet that you are better at doing all the things you've been told you need to do than you could imagine.  It just doesn't seem as effortful when it is a habit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment